2) Sweet little grandmas can be mean.
3) Tattooed leather-clad bikers can be lifesavers.
4) Benadryl is the same thing as Dramamine. Exactly the same thing. At half the price.
5) Split your family’s seats over two rows. If your toddler is going to kick the back of someone’s seat for 11 hours, you want it to be her brother’s.
6) Take the Hotel. If flights are being canceled, there is no way you are getting on standby with kids. Don’t bother. Take the hotel voucher and get out. You can fly tomorrow. (Maybe first class, if you’re lucky!)
7) Many carseats are not approved for airplane use. Check before you go.
8) Inflatable neck pillows. Genius.
9) Some airlines will give you baby food at meal time. Check beforehand.
10) Hoodies are the in-flight-napper’s best friend. Over the top of your head, cover your eyes, tuck securely. Infinitely better than a sleep mask.
11) Many back-of-the-seat-screen movies are not edited. Be aware of what the guy sitting in front of your kid is watching if you don’t want to deal with nightmares later.
13) Fighting to be first on the airplane just means you are on the airplane for half an hour longer. Early boarding is for amateurs.
14) Make your kids as cute as possible. Strangers will treat you so much better if your kids are adorable. It’s unfair. And it’s true. Time to break out the hats-with-ears.
15) Kids’ meals on planes are always a better option. Sometimes even for adults. (Buy your tickets directly from the airline’s website to get this option.)
16) Some pilots will STILL let kids into the cockpit to “fly” the plane.
17) It’s all worth it.
So, fellow Family Travelers, let’s expand the list! What have I missed? What else have you learned on the plane?